With support from a number of important partners including the Scottish Government’s CashBack for Communities and Shell, Twilight has grown into a National programme which provides free basketball sessions in a safe setting alongside the opportunity for young people to shape their own programme and access the information that they need to develop.
Shell Twilight Basketball overview:
• 40 week programme offers FREE evening basketball coaching, 2-3hr weekly sessions tackling:
– Practical drills and skills development
– Promoting goal setting (within and beyond session)
– Teamwork activity and leadership roles
• “Educational Timeouts” – Local experts and professional role models input messages tackling – territorialism, racism, healthy lifestyles, employment and further education opportunities.
• Conflict Resolution Workshops – group sessions that support youngsters in dealing with conflict in their lives e.g. TBB has developed a series of creative inputs integrating the sport and conflict resolution skills.
• Mini-League – a healthy competitive element is crucial to sustaining participation encouraging volunteering and parental support whilst offering youngsters an additional opportunity to mix and experience new communities.
• Coaching qualifications – candidates are supported to become qualified as coaches. It is SSF’s ambition to ensure that coaches are recruited directly from the TBB programme as they offer a unique pool of dedicated staff with the ability to engage our target audience whilst acting as powerful peer role models and mentors.
Shell Twilight participants have been supported to:
• Deal with conflict in their lives
• Integrate within communities
• Acquire formal qualifications
• Gain employment
• Achieve sports scholarship to USA
Recorded Outcomes, Peterhead Case Study:
• Integrating diverse nationalities (Scottish/Lithuanian/German/Latvian/Polish)
• 33% reduction in Vandalism (Grampian Police)
• 24% reduction in Youth Annoyance (Grampian Police)
• Fire raising has decreased (Grampian Police)
• Implementation of additional Daylight Basketball supported by Active Schools
• Regular competition with Grampian Superleague
• Participants gained Getting Started Coaching Qualification
• Participants volunteering and mentoring
• Youth panel established
To find out where your nearest Shell Twilight session is call Shaun Cauvin on 0141 218 4640.
For more information on Shell Twilight Basketball, please visit the SSF website.