With support from a number of important partners including the Scottish Government’s CashBack for Communities and Shell, Shell Twilight Basketball has grown into a National programme which provides free basketball sessions in a safe setting. We provide young people with a safe place to be at times of peak anti-social behaviour within communities across Scotland. Physical activity delivered in a fun & welcoming environment combined with youth consultation and “Educational Timeouts” inspire and encourage young people to develop life skills and reach their full potential.
Our 40-week programme offers the opportunity for young people to shape their own programme and access the information that they need to develop. All 2-3hr weekly evening basketball sessions are free and focus on:
- Practical drills and skills development
- Promoting goal setting (within and beyond session)
- Teamwork activity and leadership roles
- “Educational Timeouts” – Coaches, youth workers, local experts and professional role models input messages tackling body image, racism, healthy lifestyles, employment and further education opportunities
- Tournaments – a healthy competitive element is crucial to sustaining participation encouraging volunteering whilst offering young people an additional opportunity to mix and experience new communities
Shell Twilight Basketball Ambassador Programme
It is SSF’s ambition to ensure that coaches are recruited directly from the Shell Twilight Basketball programme as they offer a unique pool of dedicated staff with the ability to engage our target audience whilst acting as powerful peer role models and mentors. The Ambassador Programme Provides unique training for participants to develop leadership skills, confidence and improve employability potential. Ambassadors are supported by mentors to identify personal goals including volunteering, education or employment while gaining recognised qualifications and awards. Ambassadors are supported to plan and deliver events in their local communities and take on leadership roles within Shell Twilight Basketball, acting as positive role models for others.
To find out where your nearest Shell Twilight session is contact Sean Brady on 0141 218 4640 or by email (firstname.lastname@example.org)
For more information on Shell Twilight Basketball, please visit the SSF website.